LWF Angola is the longest serving international NGO in the country since establishing relief operations in 1986. The program has undergone programmatic transitions; emergency and relief operations – recovery and reconstruction – development and resilience. Today, LWF Angola supports individuals and communities through livelihoods, land rights, sustainable agriculture, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) actvities. In 2021, the country program supported more than 149,000 people in four provinces. In addition, LWF Angola implemented communication campaigns, organized trainings and provided hygiene kits to the population in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
LWF Angola’s work relies on three strategic areas of intervention as defined in the 2019-2024 Country Strategy: Livelihoods, Quality Services, Protection and Social Cohesion. Additionally, the country program focuses on Advocacy, Gender Justice, Climate Justice and Child Rights and Protection as particular focus areas.
Land grabbing in Angola- a growing threat
Angola is rich in natural resources, especially under ground. This is bringing many opportunities for foreign investment and development, but it is also stirring up the specter of land grabbing.
LWF supports rural communities in claiming their rights, obtaining legal certificates, and protecting the land they depend on for their livelihood.
Video realized by: SmartCutsCreative
What we do in Angola
- Supporting community participation and community management structures
- Building social cohesion and peaceful co-existence
- Supporting initiatives linked to government plans
- Strengthening land rights & civil society
- Building resilience and disaster preparedness
- Developing agriculture and food security
- Increasing and protecting assets
- Promoting and supporting productive activities
- Working with rights-holders and duty-bearers to ensure that the institutional environment enables resilient and sustainable livelihoods.
- Providing life-saving, humanitarian assistance
- Promoting and improving communities’ access to safe water and sanitation
- Promoting and supporting access to adequate social services
- COVID-19 response
- Advocacy, local to global
- Gender justice
- Rights-based approach
- Climate justice, natural resource management
- Child rights and protection
Partners and donors
Brot für die Welt
Fundacao de Acao Social (FAS )
Ev.-luth. mission (ELM) Hermannsburg
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA )
Week of Compassion
Help us make a difference in the lives of people in need in Angola and other places throughout the world.
Photo: LWF/O. Schnoebelen