LWF project work enables individual member churches to expand their advocacy, diakonia, evangelism and leadership development ministries.
The project unit of the Department for Mission and Development (DMD):
- coordinates and assesses project applications
- raises funds for approved projects
- monitors how projects are carried out
Each year, DMD accompanies LWF member churches as they implement 200 to 250 projects.
Member church projects target two areas:
- Sustainable development – agricultural initiatives, income generation, water supply and other basic needs, especially in rural areas
- Evangelism and proclamation – with a focus on new understandings of diaconal ministry
DMD gives priority to initiatives that stress:
- Women’s empowerment
- Peace building and anti-violence work
- HIV and AIDS
- Children and youth
Building projects are not a priority.
The LWF Guiding Principles for Sustainable Development ensure that projects address communications, environmental, gender and human rights concerns.
Member churches develop project proposals in close collaboration with DMD area secretaries, according to set guidelines.
The main pillars for DMD financial support are the member churches and related agencies in Germany, the Nordic countries and North America. Support from mission agencies is normally linked to specific projects of member churches with which they are already in partnership. Smaller churches are also regular contributors.
An integrated planning, monitoring and evaluation system is in place for all DMD projects. The result-oriented approach defines clear objectives, activities, budgets and benchmarks.
Implementation and monitoring help ensure that projects are being carried out according to plan. Narrative and financial reports are required every six months.
DMD staff in Geneva provide essential support by:
- accompanying the churches in achieving a project’s aims
- ensuring timely transfer of funding
- seeing that there is appropriate oversight, auditing and accountability
For further information please contact:
Ms Simangaliso Hove, Secretary for Project Coordination and Administration
Ms Ilona Maria Dorji, Secretary for Project Implementation and Monitoring
Ms Julia Brümmer, Project Implementation and Monitoring Program Assistant
Ms Marlise Egli, Project Implementation and Monitoring Administrative Assistant